Corporate Environmental Responsibility
In line with our commitment to limiting the impact that our industry has on the environment, we have put in place a series of policies and practices to assist in containing the effect that our industry may have. We believe that we all have a responsibility to contribute to the world we live in to make it a better place and we encourage our staff to be aware of the effects that the nature of our work may have on the environment and to do everything we can to contain the impact.
Water Consumption Reduction
- The roof area of approximately 1000M2 harvests water that is stored in an 3000 litre storage tank that is used for;
- Washing cars, general cleaning and garden watering
- All toilets are fitted with up to date water efficient cisterns
Solar Power Generation
- The factory roof area accommodates a 40Kw solar collection system that significantly reduces quarterly utility billing, often exceeding our consumption requirements.
- Consists of super high-efficiency, high output lights replacing high-energy consumption work lights with a measurable 75% reduction in power consumption.
Waste Reduction and management
- The company has moved to a paperless management environment as much as is practical given the high dependence on architectural and design plans that characterise Projects Queensland’s business operations.
- In 2011 a high volume ‘Andersen’ automatic, computer managed router was installed replacing several smaller inefficient machines. This has resulted in lower electricity costs, increased board cutting capacity and significantly lower board off-cut waste (with around 10% saving on wastage).
- Automatic turnoff to standby mode of electrical equipment where down time exceeds 10 minutes.
- Dust as a by-product of cutting panels is harnessed via an extraction system and bagged for disposal.
- All by-product of production and other waste is stored in two large metal collection bins that are collected twice weekly by a professional waste management company.
- All waste that can be recycled is done so via the appropriate recycling plants relative to the product.
- All company vehicles are selected on the basis of fuel efficiency, safety and ease of operation and are carefully maintained to manufacturer specifications with renewal every five years.
- 50% of our fleet is turbo-diesel powered.